19 March 2010
Friday Trivia: 14 Useless Random Facts
From Denny: Here to delight and amuse you is some Friday trivia to send you on into your fabulous weekend! Irreverent copyrighted commentary is provided free of charge... :)
Fun Useless Facts to impress the neighbors on the weekend:
* It takes your food seven seconds to get from your mouth to your stomach. Does that fact also apply to chocolate?
* One human hair can support the weight of 6.6 pounds/3 kg. There are tractor pulls and now in the near future we can expect the more sophisticated caveman version: hair pulls.
* There are about one trillion bacteria on each of your feet. For those who cannot multiply: you are the equivalent of walking around on the national debt.
* Your body uses 300 muscles to balance itself when you are standing still. Hmmm... so how many muscles are used when you are prone, like after New Year's Eve?
* The first ready-to-eat breakfast cereal was shredded wheat in 1893. So when did they change the ratio of cereal to sugar, soaking and "enrobing" the wheat squares in a thick coating of sugar, that the weight scale rats you out for that sudden jump in an extra five pounds?
* It's illegal to slurp soup in New Jersey. For all the jokes about New Jersey being blue collar I wonder how this law got on the books. Better yet, just how do you enforce it? Send out Miss Manners patrol officers?
* The number "57" on the Heinz ketchup bottles represents the amount of pickle varieties the company once produced. Were these guys too cheap to print a new label or discover the simple method of liars marketing?
* Each of the suits on a deck of cards represents the four major pillars of the economy in the Middle Ages:
- Hearts: symbolic of The Church
- Spades: symbolic of the military
- Clubs: symbolic of agriculture
- Diamonds: symbolic of the merchant class (that paid for it all)
* The average person makes about 1,140 telephone calls each year. Does that include texting or sexting?
* Beatrix Potter created the first of her legendary "Peter Rabbit" children's stories in 1902. If someone writes a story like this today the first thing people ask is "what magic mushrooms did she get into?"
* On average, there are 178 sesame seeds on each McDonald's Big Mac buns. OK, so who took the time to count the seeds? Will McDonald's demand a recount?
* Kansas state law requires pedestrians crossing the highways at night to wear tail lights. I've heard there are strange things going on in Kansas. Now I believe it!
* Canadian researchers have found that Einstein's brain was 15% wider than normal. Notice this is the only acceptable part of the body in which gaining weight and getting wider is considered the stuff of celebrity worship!
* Women are 37% more likely to go to a psychiatrist than men are likely to do. The answer to that is simple: they are married and have kids. They need stress relief and a psychiatrist is cheaper than a spa resort.
*** THANKS for visiting, come back often, feel welcome to drop a comment or opinion, a big shout out to awesome current subscribers – and if you are new to this blog, please subscribe in a reader or by email updates!